Skip navigation

Main content

Frequently asked Questions

What is a Driver CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence)?

The Vehicle Drivers (Certificates of Professional Competence) Regulations came into effect in 2007 following the Driver CPC EU Directive in 2003. The regulations affect all professional LGV and PCV drivers. For new drivers it introduces a new initial qualification, the Driver CPC, which increases the amount of knowledge that drivers need before they can drive. When combined with licence acquisition tests, the initial qualification includes a four-hour theory test and a two-hour driving and practical test. All professional drivers, new and existing, will then have to undertake 35 hours of training every five years to ensure that their Driver CPC is current. This is known as periodic training. Only courses that have been approved and are being delivered by a training centre that has been approved by the Joint Approvals Unit for Periodic Training (JAUPT) will count towards the periodic training requirement. Periodic training is designed to confirm, and expand on, the existing knowledge and skills of each driver for example by enabling them to keep up-to-date with ever-changing legislation.


What is periodic training?

Periodic training is continuing professional development for bus, coach and lorry drivers.


How much training is required?

All drivers must undertake 35 hours of training in every five-year period. The minimum length of a training course that contributes to the requirement is seven hours.


How is it delivered?

Courses and training centres must be approved by JAUPT on behalf of the competent authority for the delivery of periodic training. The content, title and method of delivery of each training course are subject to review during the approval process. A course is a coherent programme of learning of at least seven hours. The seven hours excludes any breaks or administration time, only direct training and contact time (time with a trainer) count towards the periodic training requirement. Periodic training is designed to improve the knowledge of the driver and it could include courses in subjects such as disability awareness, tachograph regulations and safe and fuel-efficient driving. There are no tests or exams involved but training centres will be required to evaluate each course to ensure that those attending have benefited from the training that they have received.


I do not yet have a Driver Qualification Card (DQC). What will happen if I continue to drive?

Easy one that, You'll get fined!

Should a driver be found without their DQC at any point whilst driving professionally they will face legal action. The first offence carries a £50 fine, the second a £2000 fine, then after that the Traffic Commissioner will get involved.


How do I check what training I have done?

You can check the training hours and the courses that you have completed by registering on the Government website at


I have lost my DQC, what should I do?

If your DQC is lost, stolen or damaged then you must apply for a replacement card from the DVSA (Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency). There will be a £25 charge for the replacement card.

You must email the DVSA with the following details:

Your name (as on your Driving Licence),
Driving Licence number,
Date of Birth,
Telephone number.

Send these details to with the email subject as "DQC Replacement". The DVSA will contact you by phone in order to arrange your replacement card.

You can also ring 0300 200 1122 but it is preferred that you email the relevant details.

You can also send the above details in writing to:

Driver CPC
PO Box 280
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE99 1FP

Remember to get a certificate of posting when you send the letter at the Post Office. These are free and it will give you a record should you require it.

It is important to ensure that your license details are up to date with your current address, otherwise it may be sent to your old address. This will also cost you £25 !

You should receive your replacement card within 15 days of paying for the replacement. You are able to drive professionally in the UK whilst waiting for your replacement. If you do not receive your card within this time, contact the DVSA.


Commercial Motor & Truck and Driver magazine

Leadus Ltd Transport Training,
as seen in Commercial Motor
and Truck and Driver magazines.

blank Graphic Driver CPC Card